FREAK THE MIGHTY

FREAK THE MIGHTY
BY Rodman Philbrick

Monday, November 28, 2011

POST #5

1.  Why is Freak’s Christmas gift of the pyramid-shaped box and handwritten dictionary so important to Max?

2. What type of author craft did Rodman Philbrick use to describe the conflict of the story: When Max's Dad, KILLER KANE comes back for Max in the basement? Give examples from the text.

3. Let us play pretend for a moment...pretend that Freak was a student in our school...would you want Freak as your friend? Why or why not?

4. Would you treat Kevin "Freak" differently than your other classmates? BE HONEST.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

NBB#4
1. Freak’s present is important to Max because when Max pressed the button he was amassed by the book of Freak’s dictionary of words because he is becoming friends and Max cares about Freak’s gifts by hand making it to make a gift. It shows that Max cares for Freak.
2. The type of author craft Rodman Philbrick used was internal dialogue and cliffhanger that the sound of his dad’s breath.
3. I would like Freak as a friend. I like him as a friend because I could learn lots of vocab words. It would make me sound smarter and I would like one of Freak’s dictionaries.
4. I would not treat Freak differently because just because people have a problem doesn’t means that they are weird in some people who have problems they might be nice.

Anonymous said...

CBS#17
#1.In my opinion the reason that Freaks present of the pyramid shape box and that handwritten dictionary was so important to Max because Freak obviously worked hard on it which means that they must have a strong friend ship .I believe that this would make it important to Max is that he has never really had a strong friendship before.

CBS#17
#2.I freak was a student at our school In would probably try to make friends with him and learn more about him.I would do this because I know if I were disabled I would hope that people would look past that and try to make friend with me anyway.

Anonymous said...

#1
In my opinion, Freaks girft to Max was important to him. This is my opinion because it was a gift he actually liked, and beause it was home made and made with care from his ONLY friend.
2#
One type of author craft that Rodman Philbrick used was sensory imagrey. He used this by discribing Max's dad. When I read it it made me visualize the dad filling up the dark room.
3#
I would want Freak as a friend because I like to see what would happen when he got his body transplate. Also, I am into the same things he is like King Arthur.
4#
I would treat him differently... but in a good way. I would do things like help and show him around the school, help him get his books out of his desk and get his lunch for him
-DML#14

Anonymous said...

CBS#17
#3.If Freak was a student in our school then I probably would try not to treat him differently.I would do this because it might make him feel embarresed or self conciense aboout himself.

CBS#17
#4.Towards the end of chapter #15 Rodman Philbrick uses a cliffhanger.For example on page98 he introduces killer kane like this "I think I hear the wind right there in the room except its not the wind its someone breathing" or on page 99 where he says"I came back"he said "like I promised".

Anonymous said...

RSC #6
I think Freak’s gift was so important to Max because Freak took the time to write out the dictionary and then get a box that magically unfolded. And he made this all himself nothing store-bought.
Rodman Philbrick used the author craft of sensory imagery because he told the reader what Max felt.
I would want Freak as a friend because he is creative, and loves reading. I love reading and being creative so yes, I would want Freak as a friend.
I probably would treat him different at first, him walking in the classroom and being two feet tall, but I think once I got to know him I would treat him the same as everybody else.

Anonymous said...

AMD#7

1. Freak's present to Max is important because Max was sort of surprised when he presses the button and Freak's dictionary is sitting inside all the cardboard that Freak has made homemade and most of all in my opinion also because the dictionary Freak gave Max is not a published dictionary but a dictionary that Freak made homemade.

2. In my opinion the type of author craft that Rodman Philbrick is internal dialogue because Max is always thinking and Rodman Philbrick writes it down.

3. I would like Freak as a friend because I think he is funny, smart and he has a very big imagination. Also, because he could teach me how to do something when I'm confused.

4. I would sort of treat Freak differently (but in a good way!) because I would help him get things and get him lunch and tell him about the teachers.

AMD#7

Anonymous said...

DTW #19 1. Freaks Christmas gift is so important to max because Freak has never been jenoris enough to give Max his dictionary. Also because he got Max in detention and made him nerves when he choked on American Chopped Sewy.
2. The author craft was alliteration because Killer Kane always uses expression like chip off the old block and Quiet as a mouse.
3. No. I would not like Freak as a friend because people would make fun of me because I walk around with a two feet tall dwarf.
4. Yes I would because he’d use all these weird words and phrases. Also because he is two feet tall.

Anonymous said...

1.Freak's gift is important to Max because it was really cool, and most importantly, it was hand made, which means Freak really cared, and put a lot of effort into it.
2. The author craft that rodman Philbrick used was sensory imagery and cliffhanger. The sensory imagery is when he says that the hand pressed hard on his face. This made me picture it, and the big, strong hand of his father's. The cliffhanger is mostly at the end, when Max's father says, " I came back, like i promised." Also, it was sort of a cliffhanger when he said he could fell breathing, and the door was open, so it was cold.
3. I would like Freak as my friend because he is caring. It shows this when he makes the hand-made gift for Max. I mean, it must have taken a lot of time, and work to make that. Also, Freak is funny. When he says big words that I don't understand, it sounds pretty funny. It would also be hard being his friend, because people would laugh and make rude comments, like on page 76 paragraph 2.
4. I think I would be a little mean to Freak, because he would be different and I wouldn't be used to people like that. At one point, though, I think I could get along with him. As an example: In 3rd grade there was a new kid named Morgan Reese. At first, me and my friends were really mean to him, and bullied him. But after like a week, I got used to him, and he became one of my best friends, but now he moved away.

Anonymous said...

MFY#20
1. In my opinion the present from Freak is so important is because it was unusual and cool. Also it had almost all the words that Freak taught Max in the dictionary. I think that the part that they are becoming really good friends.

2. Rodman Philbrick used sensory imagery to show you that image of him and his dad with his dads hand over his mouth and them out in the snow. Also he used some similes.

3. In my opinion I would may have Freak as my friend but he would always be a friend for like outside of school not inside. Only because I don't have lunch with boys.

4. I wouldn't treat Freak differently because he is just small not any different from us. Also I think it would be mean to make fun of someone like that.

Anonymous said...

Revised. Please post this one
DTW #19 1. Freak’s Christmas gift is so important to Max because Freak has never been generous enough to give Max his dictionary. Also because he got Max in detention and made him nervous when he choked on American Chopped Suey.
2. The author craft was simile, metaphor and sensory imagery because Killer Kane always uses expression like Quiet as a mouse. Also Max used “my head is empty” and “numb and prickly.”
3. No. I would not like Freak as a friend because people would make fun of me because I walk around with a two feet tall dwarf.
4. Yes I would because he’d use all these weird words and phrases. Also because he is two feet tall.

Anonymous said...

Cp15

1. The gift from freak is important to max since it has all of kevin’s favorite words which makes it special.

2. Rodman philbrick used cliffhangers when Kenny “killer” kane showed up. For example, when there was the cold breath on max.

3. I would love kevin as a friend because he is very smart and a bit silly.

4. I would not treat Kevin different than anyone else because, other than his disease, he is just normal.

Anonymous said...

Why is Freak’s Christmas gift of the pyramid-shaped box and handwritten dictionary so important to Max?

2. What type of author craft did Rodman Philbrick use to describe the conflict of the story: When Max's Dad, KILLER KANE comes back for Max in the basement? Give examples from the text.

3. Let us play pretend for a moment...pretend that Freak was a student in our school...would you want Freak as your friend? Why or why not?

4. Would you treat Kevin "Freak" differently than your other classmates? BE HONEST.

1. Freak’s Christmas gift of the pyramid-shaped box and handwritten dictionary is important to Max because he was amazed that Freak can do something that amazing by himself. It’s also important because Max thought it was special for Freak to write a dictionary and give it to Max. It was so special to him that he was afraid to pick it up.
2. The type of author craft Rodman Philbrick used when Killer Kane comes back for Max in the basement is a cliffhanger. An example of when he used it in that situation is when the father says I came back like I promised.
3. I would want Freak as my friend because he would be able to teach me so many new things and it would be cool to have a friend that was super small because I could put him on my shoulders like Max does. I would also like it because he’s going to be the first one to get a body transplant and that would be so cool to have a friend with a body transplant.
4. I would treat Freak differently in a good way by being nicer to him because I would feel bad for him and I would also be nice to him because he sounds like a really nice guy. He can also teach me a lot of things that I don’t know.

ISF#8

Anonymous said...

MCS #16- Why freaks pyramid and hand made dictionary means so much to Max because Kevin made it for him and spent his own time on something for Max.

What author craft Rodman Philbrick used was metaphor because he said Killer Kane took up the whole sky.

I would accept Kevin as a friend because he is very smart and he has a great personality and he is kind so he would be caring.

I would treat freak differently because he has a dis ability so I would treat him with more care, and I would Be very kind because he has been through a lot.

Anonymous said...

EMJ#13

1. It is important to Max because Freak gave it to him and its easier to uderstand. Like if Freak asked Max a word it would be easier to look up.

2.The author craft Rodman Philbrick
is using is ciffhanger because it made the whole class want to read the next chapter. Killer Kane was also rude (which I saw coming because he just got out of jail) to his son by calling him boy and I think you should at least call him son.


3.I would like Freak as a friend because we could go on quests together and I would kind of know how he felt because I am also very small.

4. I would treat Freak the same way as my other friends but I would help him out by holding his books and lunch. I would also introdunce him to the teachers and Mr.Soloman.

Anonymous said...

WJW#18
1. The Christmas present was important to Max because his best friend, Kevin made it especially for him.

2. Philbrick uses a simile in the line “…cool breath like the wind” to show what Killer Kane (his dad’s) breath felt like.
Philbrick also uses a cliffhanger in the chapter “A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK”. The reader is kept in suspense while worrying for Max.

3. I would like to be friends with Kevin, but I would be nervous because some of my friends might be mean to me for being his friend.

4. Yes, but I would not be mean to him though I probably would look at his leg braces a lot.

Anonymous said...

#1.freak the mighty's dictionary is so important because freak is the only friend that max has, so the dictionary is so important. it's the only thing freaks wants for Christmas.

#2.the author craft he uses is a simile because in the book he says he came up like shadow, filling up the room.

#3. I would have freak as a friend because it would be fun to have a very intellegent friend, also he could teach me some words that are very intellegent. and since he loves king Aurther he tell me some good history facts.

#4. I would treat kevin like normal person if the rest of the class calls him names. Even if he's 2 feet tall,he is probalt the smartest kid in the school, so he's pretty talented for a pysiccaly disabled peson.


db#2

Anonymous said...

#1. the hand written dictionary is so important to max because he realizes that since freak is his only friend so the pyramid and the dictionary is the only present he wants for Christmas.

#2. the author craft Rodman Philbrick uses when KILLER KANE comes and takes max is a simile because in the book, he rises out of the dark like a black shadow, filling the whole room.

Anonymous said...

WJB#5
1. Freak’s (Kevin’s) Christmas present of the pyramid shaped box with the Freak’s dictionary inside of it is important to Max because Freak made it for Max and Max was amazed by how Freak made it unfolded by itself when you touch a button and inside are all of Freak’s favorite word’s and his definition for them. Another reason the box is important to Max is because Freak and Max are becoming close friends and Freak giving him a present for Christmas means that they have become close friends now and have a bond.
2. The author Rodman Philbrick used the ‘show don’t tell’ author craft. I’m thinking this because it doesn’t tell you that Max is afraid of his dad, it only shows you by saying he was numb and he felt empty. He also uses a cliffhanger when he hears the sound of his dad's breath in his room and finds out he's there.
3. If Freak was in our school, I would be friends with him. I would do this because he knows almost everything and that would help me because if I had a question, I could just ask Freak and he would answer me. Also, it would make me feel smarter being around someone who is really smart.
4. I would treat Freak different than the other kids because he’s two feet tall and he blurts out stuff that’s hard to remember. Also, he doesn’t care about how big he is, he just thinks for himself and smart mouths or hits them if they challenge him.

Anonymous said...

JG#10

1. The pyramid shaped box and
handwritten dictionary is so important to Max because freak made it handmade for him. Also that Freak put thought into it.

2. The type of author craft Rodman Philbrick used to introduce KILLER KANE is a cliffhanger.

3. If Freak was a student in our school I wouldn’t want freak as my friend because I wouldn’t understand a word he would say. Even though he would be really good for studying.

4. No, I would not treat Freak differently than our classmates because even if I tried to treat him differently he wouldn’t let me.

Anonymous said...

1.Freak's gift is important to Max because it was really cool, and most importantly, it was hand made, which means Freak really cared, and put a lot of effort into it.
2. The author craft that rodman Philbrick used was sensory imagery and cliffhanger. The sensory imagery is when he says that the hand pressed hard on his face. This made me picture it, and the big, strong hand of his father's. The cliffhanger is mostly at the end, when Max's father says, " I came back, like i promised." Also, it was sort of a cliffhanger when he said he could fell breathing, and the door was open, so it was cold.
3. I would like Freak as my friend because he is caring. It shows this when he makes the hand-made gift for Max. I mean, it must have taken a lot of time, and work to make that. Also, Freak is funny. When he says big words that I don't understand, it sounds pretty funny. It would also be hard being his friend, because people would laugh and make rude comments, like on page 76 paragraph 2.
4. I think I would be a little mean to Freak, because he would be different and I wouldn't be used to people like that. At one point, though, I think I could get along with him. As an example: In 3rd grade there was a new kid named Morgan Reese. At first, me and my friends were really mean to him, and bullied him. But after like a week, I got used to him, and he became one of my best friends, but now he moved away.

TAAG#11